BINGHAMTON, N.Y. -- Flames tore through an apartment building in Binghamton overnight. Firefighters were still battling hot spots along the 200 block of Main Street Sunday afternoon, more than 12 hours after it started.
Investigators said the fire erupted on the 3rd floor and burned through the roof. Flames then jumped to a neighboring building connected to the rest of the apartment complex.
Firefighters tried putting it out from inside the building, but were called out when they realized the fire was more advanced. Some neighbors were told to leave their homes, in case the fire spread further.
“It was blazing, the building next door. I went around the back to come out the back door and it almost sounded like an explosion. Me and a friend of mine were talking out back and it was like ‘boom,’ the flames were blazing,” said Roland Jennings, Binghamton Resident.
The Red Cross helped evacuate people early Sunday morning. Crews said working smoke detectors and a sprinkler system helped residents make it out safely. Investigators are still piecing together what sparked the fire.